Here's a purposefully crappy depiction: (And yes, that's a pile of pigs on the top. Did you want to talk about it? And yup, those are some dead flowers I thought added to the voidy ambience.)
And here's one where I briefly caught a half-naked baby sighting:
Anywhos, I first looked into just buying some baskets or non-tacky totes. But one: baskets are butt-expensive it turns out; two: I couldn't find any with the proper dimensions that would adequately utilize the space (must. not. waste. space.); and three: wicker makes me a little uncomfortable. (I want you to think about it until you think so, too.)
So I decided to build les boxes with scrap material. And I learned some things. Namely, if bugs wig you out, you shouldn't dig through a mound of wood that's been in the garage for over a year.
BUT, after several moments of entomological horror, a sprinkle of bad words, some measuring, some sawing, some re-measuring and re-sawing, some wishing I had a table saw to cut the time involved by 75%, voila--I had the boxes.
I then mod podged some scrapbook paper (I know, right? Who would have pegged me to ever own scrapbook paper) to the faces, hot glued some felt to the bottom so as not to scratch up the void, and attached some delectable little glass knobs to the fronts. And blessed day, they fit perfectly. (PS-Christian did some hardcore manning by cutting down the knob bolts for me. I don't do Dremel sparks. But I also didn't want to go to the store for shorter bolts. Go, man-Christian.)
So all in all, these bad boys cost me $3.56 for the knobs and a few frustration bucks. I'm giving this project a For The Win rating.
(Oh and also, no judgy-judgy on the dresser-top decor. That's step two for room beautification. I'll get rid of those dead flowers when I'm good and ready.)