Wednesday, January 22, 2014

{In Jerry Seinfeld's Belly Voice}: Hellllllllo

Well, here we are again.  Starting a blog.  Except this time, it's going to be a 'makin' stuff' blog. And instead of talking about any neuroses I may or may not have, I'm going to talk briefly about the stuff I make with my sexy scroll saw.

So here's the skinny.  I just upgraded to this delicious, variable-speed, 20" scroll saw (aka Baby Jack's new little brother) and I'm a big fan of making stuff with it.   Oh, like names, wall hangings, puzzles, boxes, holiday decorations, etcetera, etcetera.
And then there's polymer clay.  So you may know my mum (see her awesome stuff here).  Ever since I can remember she's been making schweet schtuff in polymer.  And as a kid, I was always like, "Yeah, yeah, that's cool and all," but I always preferred to roll the clay into fat humanoids, slice them up, and stick lit birthday candles in them...  It was that instead of Barbies... Oh and don't even worry about me secretly being a sociopath or anything, I've talked to pleeeenty of people who would do similar things as kids... mostly boys...ok, mostly weirdos... but I digress.  I'm suuuper into it now.  I didn't know what I was missing.  Like, I've got the ol' craft room set up with all the polymer amenities.  So between that and my power tool hallapalooza, I be makin' all kinds of stuff up in here.  I've set up my Etsy shop here and we'll just see what happens, i.e., whether I remain attached to all my fingers or not..

I'll start with the first practice puzzle I ever did.  Cut from 3/4" pine and then some experimental polymer techniques on top (clearly, I wasn't really going for a chic look here).  Oh, and fyi? Yeah, the head and tail pieces glow in the dark.  Just sayin' :)


1 comment: